Fire destroys Farwell home
By Pat Maurer
A Farwell home was totally destroyed in a fire Sunday morning. Surrey Township firefighters were called to the home of Laura Canute on West Illinois Street (south of the bank) around 10:18 a.m. December 30 after the occupants discovered smoke coming from a bedroom wall.
Surrey Fire Chief Dave Williams they immediately called the fire department. Despite efforts by Surrey, and assistance from both Clare and Garfield Fire Departments, the home, which is owned by David Papesh and rented to the Canute family, was a total loss. Williams said there was “extensive fire, smoke and water damage throughout the home.”
Williams said he believes the fire started with and electrical problem in the wall between the original home and an addition. Firefighters were on the scene for about three and a half hours, Williams said. There were no injuries.
Williams reminded homeowners and residents in the area to “make sure your smoke detectors are in working order at all times.”