And the race is on…

November 18, 2011

Well Hunting Season is in full swing again this year. Opening day was a quiet one, at least near the Maurer place. We didn’t hear any gunfire at all Tuesday morning.

And I’ll bet Jack and I have seen more deer so far than most hunters too, although we haven’t been out with a gun at all. Our tally to date is one eight-point buck and four large does, all spotted in our own front yard Tuesday.

Guess they know where it’s safe…

Between a bit of work, recovering from a bout with the flu (‘tis the season) and running kids here and there, this has been a pretty busy week so far.

Well actually, all of the running took place today.

This week on Wednesday I have been playing surrogate mom, at least from the time school gets out on. Talk about a blast from the past!

I know I used to do this kind of stuff on a regular basis, but I had forgotten what raising two sports minded youngsters can entail actually. This afternoon I got to experience it all again.

Wednesday and Thursday, I pick up the granddaughters from school. Jack handles that chore on Friday. Only now with the activities they are involved in, it is a bit more complicated than that.

At 3:08 it was time to pick up Lisa’s girls after school, so I joined the mob by the Primary School who all had the same intentions. Usually there is a double line of vehicles along the side of the Middle School, and the front and side of the Primary buildings. To find a parking place, you need to arrive about 30 minutes (or more) before the bell rings and even then you are lucky if you don’t end up three blocks away.

Today was a good day, with an empty spot right between the two schools. Mission accomplished, as both girls exited their respective Primary and Middle School doors and got in the VW – with their usual one-half ton of luggage…

While I was waiting, I managed to rough in an outline for my last article and jot down some ideas for this column.

No time for dinner. Away we went for a quick trip to Subway for a sandwich to hold them both over since it is “Basketball Season!”

That meant I had a little less than an hour to feed them and get Alea back to town for pre-game practice at 4:20 p.m. Luckily the house is only three miles from the school. I don’t know what parents who live further away do…

A quick bite and Alea started “getting ready” a real hair pulling experience for this grandma. She was finally (almost) ready (carrying shoes rather than wearing them) and we rushed back into town to arrive only a heart-thumping 4 minutes late for the pregame practice.

Dropped her off and headed back home again to get the other one ready for her 5:30 p.m. basketball practice – and dash off part of another article for the paper as Wednesday is deadline day.

Of course we really didn’t have that much time since Alea’s game started at 5 p.m. in one gym while Alison’s practice was in another. We were headed out the door again by 4:55 p.m.

Practice lasts an hour and the game an hour, so I figured I could watch the game for 25 minutes, take Alison to her practice and come back for the rest of Alea’s game.  After her game the A team also has to play so you can add another hour to the schedule.

Luckily the girls’ dad showed up to help the situation out, picking up Alison and meeting me at Alea’s game to collect both girls and head for home and any homework that needed to be done.

I didn’t practice and I didn’t play, but I sure felt like I ran the race today…

Share This Post