Harrison home destroyed by fire Wednesday

April 13, 2012

Firefighters were unable to save a home at 1765 East Stockwell Road, just north of Harrison Wednesday. The house, a rental owned by Mark Bray for the past ten years burned to the ground.

Harrison Fire Chief Pat Agin said the department received the call around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. “The house, a mobile home with an addition, was already fully engulfed,” he said. He said he believed the fire started near a wood burner in the home. “I don’t think it was insured, but I haven’t been able to reach the homeowner yet,” he said.

Agin said a renter was living in the home and was there at the time of the fire but no one was injured.

Bray was interviewed by 9 & 10 News Wednesday. He said he was “shocked” at the fire because although the home was a rental, it was not supposed to be occupied. He said both the electricity and water was shut off.

In the interview, 9 & 10 reported that the tenant was a woman, a former renter. They said Bray didn’t know if she had started the fire.

Bray said the home is not insured. It was a total loss, Chief Again said.

Harrison Fire Department was assisted at the scene by a tanker and personnel from the Clare Fire Department and the Harrison Department of Natural Resources.  Firefighters were on the scene for about an hour and a half, Agin said.

Share This Post