Fire destroys barn

Photo By Bob Guiliani

Photo By Bob Guiliani

A barn at the Jim and Christine Shuster residence at 6531 East Surrey Road was destroyed by fire Tuesday afternoon.

Clare Fire Chief Jim Chapman said the department received the call reporting smoke coming from the building around 2:17 p.m. When firemen arrived on the scene they saw flames on west side of the barn. “Shortly after that it was fully involved,” Chapman said. Firemen were unable to save the barn, but were able to save an adjoining barn after it also ignited.  Five lambs perished in the fire, but a dog inside a doghouse between the two barns was uninjured, the Chief said. The first barn was totally destroyed while the second adjacent barn had only minor damage. The barns were insured.

Chapman said he believes the fire was started by a heat lamp in the barn.

Firemen were on the scene for about two hours. Clare received mutual aid from Surrey Fire Department.

Share This Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Current day month ye@r *