United Way allocates $70k to county non-profits

July 6, 2017

Did you know that United Way of Clare and Gladwin Counties is a 100 percent local organization led by a board of directors from Clare and Gladwin counties – and that the money raised here, stays here?

The money raised through the annual campaign is carefully distributed to our community partners by volunteers that live and work here as part of our allocations process. Those volunteers serve on Citizen Review Panels, evaluating grant applications from local organizations and making funding recommendations.

Because of the generosity of our citizens during this year’s campaign, United Way was able to fund 39 programs at 21 agencies in Clare and Gladwin counties.
Thousands of dollars – around $23,000 – in donor choice designations were also paid out to various health and human service agencies.

United Way funding also makes available to Clare and Gladwin counties a dial 2-1-1 information and referral call center through 211 Northeast Michigan, and a 24-hour crisis line through Listening Ear Crisis Center at 386-2774.

In addition to the annual campaign, our United Way office also collaborates with other agencies to bring services to our residents. From October through December, United Way of Clare and Gladwin Counties manages the Adopt-A-Family Christmas program with Clare County DHHS. Last year, the United Way office matched 85 families in the program.

From February through April, United Way staff is trained each year (IRS certified) and serves alongside other Mid Michigan Community Action Agency volunteers to provide free, in-person tax preparation for seniors, low-income individuals and families, and anyone else who needs assistance with their taxes in Clare or Gladwin counties. The Clare office also serves as a host site for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program.

This year, United Way of Clare and Gladwin Counties also worked with the Gladwin Ministerial Association and the Community Nutrition Network to sponsor a monthly food truck financially in both counties. United Way also provided volunteers for both trucks, including Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, Home Depot employees, area MOPS group members, and other Clare and Gladwin county elementary, middle, and high school students.

United Way has also been involved with community connection events in both Clare and Gladwin counties, and staff members have also been known to help walk-in clients with paperwork, faxing, scanning, phone calls and emailing to help them access assistance to get utilities turned back on and other emergency assistance.

This past year, about $230,000 was raised in Clare and Gladwin counties.  Less than 1 percent of that money was contributed to United Way Worldwide membership. The membership provides tools and training to allow our United Way to better execute programs which are implemented locally.  The remaining 99 percent of money raised is put to work in Clare and Gladwin County.

Our local United Way has full autonomy to determine which programs and services are most important to our friends and neighbors in our community and our money – your money – is used to help fund those local programs and services.

Another benefit received from the United Way Worldwide membership are FamilyWize prescription discount cards. These cards are for anyone in Clare and Gladwin counties without insurance, or those who are underinsured. This program saves our residents thousands of dollars in prescription costs each year. Also through the United Way Worldwide membership, any Clare or Gladwin county resident whose gross income will be $62,000 or less can file their federal AND state taxes for free through myfreetaxes.com.

2017 Clare County Allocations: Mid Michigan Big Brothers: $10,800, Boy Scouts of America: $3000, Clare County Habitat for Humanity: $1500, Clare Gladwin Great Start Collaborative (Imagination Library): $2500, Girl Scouts (Clare County Girl Scouting): $3000, Girls on the Run of Central Michigan: $5000, Listening Ear (Child Sexual Abuse Treatment): $4200, Listening Ear (Crisis Center and Suicide Prevention Hotline): $3600, Listening Ear (Runaway and Homeless Youth Program): $3200, Listening Ear (Transitional Living Program): $2200, Mid-Michigan Industries (Community Employment Program): $3800, MMCAA (Early Childhood Events): $2100, MMCAA (Emergency Food Pantry): $4200, MMCAA (Helping Homes Program): $5100, Northern Michigan Mobile Child Advocacy Center (Sexual Abuse Prevention Program): $2800, Ten Sixteen Recovery Network (Center for Recovery and Wellness): $4400, Ten Sixteen Recovery Network (Substance Abuse Prevention): $2800, Women’s Aid Service (Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault): $5800, Total Allocations: $70,000.

Share This Post

Error, no group ID set! Check your syntax!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *